Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Too Young To Give My Heart Away

- From the perspective of a teenager, I remember thinking that I had a lot more going on than most adults could appreciate or probably comprehend.  They were, after all, way to "old" to remember what it was like, and undoubtedly, there was something uniquely cool about our generation, that made us better equipped, smarter, and, well, just overall, um, well, something or other, than they were... I assumed I knew what was going on, even though, now, I realize that I didn't - but was unable to hear or understand that possibility because, I was a teenager...
One of the BIG programming subjects by society is sexuality, "romantic love" and the whole idea that you are somehow incomplete of your self; that you need another person to complete you - as if you are only half of a person (or less), half a heart. And further confusing, there is some suggestion that there is only one other "half" that will fit you to complete you. And you're supposed to get it right the first time - when you know absolutely nothing about it...
So this is a song written in November of 2000, in retrospective of my teenage years and first love/heartbreak.

Too Young To Give My Heart Away

When I was a child, innocent and pure,
My mom told me fairy tails, of how true love endures
So I grew up thinking, all I had to do,
was find someone to take my heart, and our love would be true.

So I looked around, to see who was there,
Someone here right next to me could be the answer to my prayers,
A girl came along, I thought she might be the one,
at 16 I was tired of waiting, and so the pain begun...

[Chorus]
I was too young, to give my heart away, I know it now,
but the waiting seemed eternal, as if I was missing out some how,
If I could have waited, and reigned in my heart more,
Maybe I wouldn't have had to pick up, all its pieces from the floor


So we tried this game called love, we thought we knew the rules,
I'd hear it would be easy, and believed it like a fool
But someone forgot to mention, the most important rule of all,
at sixteen we barely knew our selves, so we were destined for a fall...

If I could send a message through the heart break to my past,
not to waste my precious youth on a love that couldn't last,
and hold on to to your heart, don't think that love is late,
cause when the right love finally comes along, it was worth the wait.

Chorus

(C) 2011 Dave Cox

No comments:

Post a Comment