Friday, July 1, 2011

Wandering

- Digging through my poetry, I'm reminded of a theme in my life and common in creativity, that it is the extremes of emotion that drive one most to create, to write, to compose.  When I'm happy, I spend my time doing that which makes me happy.  When I'm sad, I didn't feel like I had anything else to do but to try to write, to create, to extract this pain from me, and push it out onto paper, to the world.  In reviewing them, I see that so many of the songs I wrote (most of which I didn't post) are of a familiar theme, that really there isn't much new there to offer.  So now, I'm looking for the stuff that is more unique, that has a voice of its own, a message, a memory that I feel is more universal.  Below, an unnamed poem (which I've called "wandering") from August of 1989.


I've been wandering so long, searching in the night
waiting for a lover, but its somehow never right.
I'm looking for a friendship that will never let me down,
but I've got this feeling it's no where to be found.

So I look within me, to find what's down inside,
For a shining bit of wisdom, a pearl of some great price,
I hope to find an answer to a question I don't know,
I need direction, need some place to go...

Oh lord, grant me guidance, let me know that you're still there,
could you send a sweet reminder, an answer to a prayer?
Would you kindly give me courage, grant me hope to carry on,
I don't need to sound discouraged, just need some help along...

Could someone please help me along...

(C) 2011 Dave Cox

No comments:

Post a Comment